Sunday, August 31, 2008

My crazy Monday

I had one crazy day last Monday. I started my day waking up at 0700. I was wanting to sleep more but Phoebe needed my attention. I took care of the furbabies and then made me a smoothie and toast. I am loving these strawberry smoothies!!

Luckily, I had slept 8 hours and was going to stay up for a few hours, watch a movie, let Phoebe play and then go back to bed for a few hours till I had to get ready for work. My plans got changed at 0747 - the time on the police report of the incident. A watched a big truck drive down my street, then all of a sudden I saw blue flashes of light and a pop. I had no electricity. I step out on my front porch to figure out what just happened. I saw power lines on the ground Of course, I wasn't dressed!

I was talking to my dad on my cell phone when I stepped outside to figure out all the damage - still in my nightgown- when the police came up to me. I just saw that the main power source to my house was cut. The police took my name and told me they would be back to talk to me. I got off the phone and then got dressed!!

Wild day

Then I have a guy from my electric company telling me I needed an electrician as they couldn't re-hook my service back up. My mast (or whatever that thing is called that your power is hooked to) was bent to the point it needed to be repaired. He said if he hooked my power back up it could cause a fire. So he gave me a name that he recommended. I call this company and tell them the situation and she said it was considered an emergency. I got a call back right away and they were at my house a few minutes later. He took a look at the damage and then got supplies to fix it. I was impressed that they actually got all this taken care of that quickly!!! I actually got power back at 1315.

I didn't realize that I didn't have phone service till I remembered that I still had 10 hours of dial-up service a month through AOL. I was going to pay bills online this morning and really needed to get that done. Then I didn't have enough battery power in my laptop as I forgot to turn it off after I was dealing with everyone being on my front lawn! What is a girl to do that has no internet, no TV?? She cleans!! While I was cleaning off my dining room table, I still have my old laptop there that was plugged in!! Score!!!! After I got it all hooked up, that is when I realized I had no dial tone. I started making phone calls to the phone company. I was glad that I had charged my cell phone the night before!!

Wild day

After I called the phone company, they said I didn't need to be home for them to repair the line. I went ahead and got dressed for work and went to the Mudhouse. I had a little lunch, my fave frozen coffee and used the free wifi! I was able to get my bills set up on my bill pay. Phew!! When I arrived back home, the phone company was at my house and they got my phone/internet working again before I had to head to work.

I had one of my neighbors afraid I had been robbed. She came over to make sure I was okay. I am so glad that I did get 8 hours of sleep last night as I have to work my normal 12 hour shift tonight and won't get my normal nap time in.

The cop told me it was my lucky day as it just affected my house. I was glad that I was able to get everything back in working order before leaving for work. I was exhausted that night at work! I was so ready for bed when I got home the next morning.

Now, I am just waiting for the insurance company to call me. I have already notified them and they said they would be in contact. I think I need to call them this week so I can get a fax number to send them some receipts.

I had originally planned to be in Europe the week this happened and glad that I was home to take care of this situation.

I keep looking at these power lines that connect to my house that run across the street. I see big trucks drive down my street occasionally and I am puzzled on how this really happened.

Photobucket

No comments: