Saturday, July 28, 2007

Icky day

Yesterday I was all excited because I got my summer class finished up. I ended up not getting as much sleep before work as I had hoped but didn't feel too tired. I was planning before work to go to my favorite LSS which is happens to be closing this Sunday forever! I was shocked as they announced this on Tuesday and then closing on Sunday. I was hoping to get in on the 50% sale and when I walked in the door the line was wrapped around the store! I left as I had two more stops to make before going to work. I was hoping to get there today but I was soo sleepy that it didn't happen. I hope to be able to make it in on the last day.

The day got pretty icky when I got to work and I happened to be the charge nurse for the evening. We were actually staffed okay and I am very thankful for that. The night started out fairly good. We were getting some new admits but then admitting kept calling and kept calling. I wasn't able to see my patients as I like because of having to take all these phone calls and then assign RN and PCA's with new patients. Between 1900 and 2400 we had 10 admits! To much for 4 nurses to take care of in my opinion. We all had about 2 admits at the same time and they just kept coming. I finally said something to the girl in admitting and she told me that we were the only floor with this many beds. So that makes it okay for us too many patients at the same time? I called nursing office to let them know about what was going on and there was a nurse staying over from evenings trying to help people get caught up. He came up and helped us out to get caught up. I was sooo glad that admitting didn't call the rest of the night! We also only had 3 beds left at that point!

I think my stress from last night is still with me. I have been grouchy tonight. I called my parents to ask if they would come over and help me install this window a/c so I am not melting in my bonus room. I had called earlier in the week to ask if they would come out on Sunday so I called again tonight just to make sure that was still in the works. My Mom was asking me about Monday which I work and it would be another whole week again before getting this done if I waited and it is freaking hot in my bonus room! I can tell they aren't excited about coming over. :-P I have had this window a/c for about 2 weeks now and have been having to do homework in a room with temps. in the high 90's. It just makes me mad the attitude I was getting when I had talked to them about this earlier in the week.

I am hoping to go something relaxing tonight and hopefully get rid of this stress. I think ice cream needs to be involved! :-)

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Love your cat! I've got two.

Since I couldn't get your e-mail to work, I'm posting this question to you.

I was wondering if you'd be interested in posting any articles from the website. There are lots of relevant articles for todays nurse. The great news is that using nursezone content on your site is no cost. We'd just like to have a link back to our site for those of your bloggers interested in finding a community of nurses, CE opportunities, travel nursing and other relevant nurse aids. A partial example of a nursing article is below:

Nurse Overcomes Cancer—Twice—to Provide Care to Others

By Nancy Deutsch, RN, contributor

Many people yearn to make nursing their career, but few have to battle the odds like Valerie Bush.

The Independence, Kentucky, woman, who was a medical technician for six years and a nurse’s aide “on and off forever,” waited until her children were raised to return to nursing school. When she finally entered the Gateway Community and Technical College, it was unbelievably stressful. Not only was the single mother dealing with her course work, but her father died, and her youngest daughter was dealing with medical problems, including bipolar disease.

Bush, now 42 years old, was “disgustingly healthy when I started” school in 2004, but quite overweight, and she started to lose a lot of the extra girth.

“I lost massive amounts of weight in just a few months,” she recalled. “I was a pretty big girl. I lost 100 pounds.”

At first, Bush chalked up the weight loss and constant belching to stress, but when she shed all the weight, she found a lump in her breast. “I decided to see a doctor over break.”

Bush was diagnosed with DCIS, and beneath that, metastatic breast cancer.

“I lost everything in a week,” Bush said. The diagnosis sent her daughter off the deep end, upset her boyfriend, and meant she had to stop the classes she had waited so long to take.

“As a nurse, you think you know what a cancer diagnosis entails,” she said. “But you don’t. It affects every single thing in your life.” … (more article to come)

© 2007. AMN Healthcare, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Let me know what you think.

Tracy (